Pages

Monday, November 24, 2008

More chicken joy -

When I went out this afternoon to let the chickens out to roam -

- they trailed behind me all around the yard as usual, in a rather Pied-Piper fashion. After finishing the odds and ends, I went around to check the coop -

-and look! Not only has Pearl left me two white eggs (she must have laid yesterday's after I checked in on them earlier in the day) but there was also a *new*, rosy-brown one! Courtesy of Jet (the barred rock).

Pearl's eggs are always round and plump, and while the first few eggs may not be indicative of all future dimensions, this pinky one is much more narrow and pointy -
-rather like the respective hens from which they come (Pearl is the fluffy white hen at the bottom, Jet the thin black and white striped one in the center).

More things to feel thankful for this week.

11 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Gorgeous chicken girls + lovely eggs = happiness

Anonymous said...

I just had to stop by and see chickens you speak of so lovingly. They are beautiful and wow, fresh eggs! What could be better?

Soozcat said...

Lovely chickies.

Just out of curiosity, how are the eggs?

natural attrill said...

Lovely chickens!
P.x

Gretel said...

WANT chickens. WANT eggs. Until that happy day I will enjoy yours, vicariously. Pearl has a lovely mumsy figure.

Anonymous said...

How cool! How nice yoou live where you can have chickens. I'm not sure where I'm at the city would allow us plus our dogs would probably worry them. We also have a neighbor cat with the most interesting personality who thinks he owns everything and is quite the huntsman. So even if codes allow it, I don't see it happening. I'll just have to keep visiting your girls.

Half-heard in the Stillness said...

Hello there.. ooh how lucky you are to have your lovely chickens and how wonderful to have really fresh eggs!The eggs we buy in our local supermarket are practically tasteless,I can just remember how fantastic 'real' eggs taste from when I was a child just after the war.
Your nieces look adorable in their costumes and my what a double trouble their papa looks!! Thank you SO much for visiting my blog and for leaving your lovely comments. :))

Anonymous said...

And I bet that these three birds are celebrating their own Thanksgiving Day, being thankful they will be benficiaries of your dinner, not part of it!
Also bet you did a "happy dance!"

Hayden said...

beautiful chickens, beautiful eggs! Such a miracle to be grateful for!

Merisi said...

My parents always kept chickens, and there's no better egg than one collected fresh from the hen house, from chickens who lived a natural life.

Kathleen Rietz said...

I LOVE YOUR CHICKENS!!!!!!! Awesome photos.