Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Music Monday - Steamcon Part II

Went to a fun Sea (Sky) Shanty panel at Steamcon. (Here is a live performance by my fav shanty singers, Great Big Sea):


Local Folk Musician/Eclecticist, Naill Townley gave a fabulous presentation on everything you ever wanted to know about sea shantys, but didn't know to ask... 

Great presentation, great voice. Lots of singing-along. :-) (You can see the framework of the presentation here. Plus a bunch more shanties for your listening pleasure.)

I also got to hear a fun presentation by the artist GOH, Gary Gianni - graphic novel artist extraordinaire. Lots of talk about his research and process in illustrating 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (see below):


Had a lovely chat about his book, his current projects and the state of the art world.

(got this great Cap'n Nemo drawing when he signed my copy!)

But the best part of Steamcon is experiencing it with your friends. :-) I got to go again this year with the awesome Laundry Faerie - who was unfortunately hatless...


(a thing I thought needed to be remedied. I made her try on a number of options - there are so many fabulous possibilities!)


Here's the one she ended up with. :-)

We saw so many things of wonder. Am sad we have to wait an Entire Year before going again!

Alas, am packing away the steampunkery until then....

3 comments:

Soozcat said...

Aww. Thanks for inviting me. It was fun... and, um, hat-tastic!

tlchang said...

(See how cute you are in those hat photos? :-)

Soozcat said...

Meh. I never look in photos the way I look in my head.