Pages

Saturday, October 01, 2011

Retreat - Part IV (Dragon's Eggs!)

A couple of years ago I did The First Day of Christmas as my holiday mailer.
This year I've decided to do the second day. Did an initial sketch for it the second day of the retreat. :-)

Some of you may recall that last year, I did caroling dragons....

This year up in the cabin environs there were many many downed trees (they had a near hurricane last winter). They've been tipped over for months now and the dirt in the roots has washed out, exposing quite large rocks tangled in the roots which looked remarkably like nested dragon's eggs!
(Here are some 'eggs' still underground - seen before the 'nests' are fully exposed...)

Aerial dragon's nest - can you see the rocks held in the upper roots?

Ground nest - with the 'eggs' gently nestled in some soft dirt....


'Eggs' precariously hanging in the air...


'Eggs' in a hollowed stump...

Dragon's eggs nearly everywhere we looked! I suspect we'll have to watch our step next year if they've all hatched by then.

2 comments:

gudrun said...

Can't wait to see their feathers. Maybe one will imprint on us and become our cabin guard and truffle (mushroom) hunter extraordinaire. and be still my heart- all the food we bring will finally be eaten!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Love your Christmas mailers - always gorgeous!

Oh, and I will always see dragon's eggs now in the roots of trees. Interesting that my dad always told me that exposed tree roots were the place to look for gold nuggets too. Dragons *and* gold? Not surprising. :)