Pages

Sunday, October 02, 2011

Retreat - Part VI (stumps and chips)

In a class I took last year it was strongly suggested that we develop a memorable signature for our work. It could be our name or a graphic element based on our name/initials. I played with some graphic ideas then,(notepaper on left) -
Tried some more fitting options at the retreat (on the right) but am now looking forward to finessing something with the help of some of my font books at home-

And speaking of 'graphic elements', I always find the stark beauty of skeletal roots, driftwood and tree shards sparsely beautiful...
The man-made-lake-that-used-to-be-forest still has quite a few 100+ year old stumps around..

Apparently at the end of every summer, all the dead wood that floats to the end of the lake near the spillway is gathered up in preparation to be burned...
(see how *huge* this one single pile is! There are multiple piles. That's going to be quite a bonfire.)

The lake shore is literally carpeted in places with wood chips....


Rustically beautiful...

Starkly, graphically beautiful...

1 comment:

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Tara, I'm so impressed with all you were able to accomplish. I think I needs to find me a "retreat". The photos, the maps, dummy storybook, sketches and even dragon eggs...thanks for sharing.