Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Music Monday - Ladyhawke

The transformation scene three quarters of the way through the dark medieval fairy-tale of an 80s movie, Ladyhawke, is possibly one of the most wrenching thwarted-love scenes in all of cinema.


I believe this movie holds up quite well despite the intervening decades. The cast is is strong (and features an incomparably beautiful young Michelle Pfieffer), the locations stunning, and the story full of action, pathos and humor in nearly equal parts. I've always held an affection for its Alan Parson's produced soundtrack - albeit, so very 80s in feel. The opening credits are still a nice watch - they are designed so beautifully.

2 comments:

melinda beavers said...

I'm just going through your blog to see what you've been up to (I've not spent much time online for the last few weeks), and I'm discovering all your interesting posts!

I love Ladyhawke, one of my childhood favorites. The cinematography is stunning (filters and all). I agree it stands up quite nicely to the test of time… the only thing that doesn't, IMHO - is the soundtrack. Not that I don't enjoy it, I actually feel quite nostalgic synth-pop - but if it wasn't for the music, you'd probably have a hard time dating when the movie was made -- which is quite a feat for 80's movies in general. ;)

tlchang said...

You're correct - I'm sure the soundtrack is what dates it (although I guess that's one of the things I like about it all - for nostalgia if nothing else).

Have you ever seen the director's cut of Legend? (that terrible Tom Cruise movie that does have some marvelous scenes and characters). It was released with a Tangerine Dream 80s synth soundtrack in the US which apparently the British director *hated*. There is an alternate version with a much more 'traditional' soundtrack - but having grown up with the other, I have a hard time getting behind it. :-)