Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Music Monday - O Mistress Mine

(I know it's Tuesday, but I wanted to do the Big Workshop Website kickoff announcement yesterday).

This weekend I watched the 2011 version of The Tempest, directed by Julie Taymor - whose artistic vision and choices are always interesting, often surprising and many times very very beautiful (I lost count of how many times I gasped at her stage production of The Lion King). Her version of The Tempest is nearly a musical, and although Shakespeare did have quite a bit of sung verse in the script, she also imported a song originally in Twelfth Night (see Ben Kingsley singing it here). It fits well and Reeve Carney sings it sweetly (be warned that half of this video is a musical introduction... It is ultimately a short little ditty, and sadly I do not see the clip from the actual movie anywhere on youtube):

No comments: