Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Of Poultices and Splints....

A few days ago, with an armful of plant starts, I tripped and landed on my wrist, managing to sprain it purty darned good (and of course, it is my drawing hand). I've been trying to infuse it with every healing thing I can think of... RICE, essential oils, arnica/calendula cream, Rescue Remedy and poultices from herbs from the garden...
(mostly made of comfrey, with some mullien, plantain, and allheal thrown in for good measure)

My husband kindly chops these for me (can"t do that one handed), and I add a bit of hot water and castor oil. spread on flannel and wrap around my wrist a couple of times a day...

The rest of the time I'm pretty much keeping it splinted, and iced - trying really hard not to aggravate those poor ligaments. The swelling and bruising are mostly gone and I can move my fingers mostly pain-free - but still no twisting, pressure and lifting (or drawing, writing or planting... :-(...)

Oh to be ambidextrous! 

5 comments:

Ruthie Redden said...

Oh Tara, thats not good, it's so easy to do something like that isn't it when we are busy & our thoughts are elsewhere. I stupidly walked into a cupboard last month and chopped the end of my little toe! Was limping about for ages. I do hope your wrist heals up quickly, at least you seem to be trying all the right things. x

Gretel said...

Oh Tara, how horrid! After my own experience, I can only say rest and then good wrist exercises/physio, to get it working properly again. The rest bit of course, is the hardest. Heal fast!

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

This has got to be so frustrating along with being painful. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Take care and rest up my friend.

Bumpkin Hill said...

Ouch, that sounds painfull. I just came across your blog, nice to find a fellow illustrator. Hope your wrist gets better soon. Catherine

tlchang said...

Thanks girls. I'm finally starting to feel a bit more like 'myself' again - although the brace is still on. Probably for at least another week. Fingers all work now - just hard with the thumb....