Pages

Monday, November 28, 2005

Running with rats....

Had a moderately terror-inducing altercation with a rodent...

We put away all the autumn decor this afternoon. Packed up the 'fall' box, and got the kids to help get the Christmas boxes out of the shed. The second one that Justin retrieved had holes in it. We have occasionally had rats in the shed, which is undesirable, but I'm not sure if it is entirely avoidable. I took the box from Justin and turned to go into the house and felt something run down my side. It took me a second to figure out what had happened. Not only had this box been a bit rat-eaten, it still had the rat in it! Jack (the dog) immediately took off after it and ended up chasing it back into the house. By this time, I had figured out what was happening and started yelping "Rat! Rat!" and tried to close the back door but that only succeeded in letting the rat in, but kept the dog out. By now, I had been reduced to a stereotypical shrieking mass of hysteria (I always make fun of women who shriek and climb on tables when they see mice... But, hey! This was a *rat*! And it had run down my body! And was now running around in my house!) I was now on top of the washing machine, and pretty much bleating. The rat was ensconced behind the computer so I ran upstairs while Ed and the cat chased it out.

The rat is successfully outside, and Ed will get rat traps for the shed tomorrow, but I am too freaked out to deal with the Christmas boxes at present. It took me awhile to calm down and let the feeling of rat-feet dwindle to a mere shudder. The kids thought it was all together too funny to see me in such an unfettered hysterical state. Kailin tried to be sympathetic, but couldn't quite quit laughing. Argh! I may be traumatized for life!



This is Mia after the fact - totally enthralled with the formerly rat-inhabited box. Brrrr......

3 comments:

Gretel said...

*SHUDDERS* Eech! had a similar experience once, in attic, opening a suitcase...mouse scampered out and my first instinct was to want to leap on a table...which of course there wasn't, it being the attic. Must be some latent primeval thingy. If it had been a rat I'd have gone through the roof!

michelle said...

Oh Tara, YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
I can't even imagine. It would take me at least of couple of days and forcing the rest of the family to empty the remainder of the boxes before I could find the enthusiasm to start decorating.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tara-how horrible. I once stood on a kitchen table bleating, feeling like an idiot, but somehow ending up there nevertheless, because a little black mouse (rat?) was roaming the kitchen where I was babysitting. But then, I also spent half a day day in a bedroom, afraid of a giant cockroach roaming the living room. (And you all laugh at my fears at the cabin about a mousie running up my leg!) It is the stuff of nightmares--sorry you had to experience it. Glad you are not having to paint any mouse pictures right now!!!!! Defintiely let everyone else empty the boxes --OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!