Pages

Sunday, June 11, 2006

And then there was my day...

Finally done with all the week's activities, which included a sleepover birthday party for 10 fourteen year old girls, I got to spend a bit of much-needed time out in the yard. I harvested some enthusiastic herbs (spearmint, golden and greek oregano, sweet marjoram, lots of lemon balm and golden yarrow) and hung them to dry.


I then got to spend some time weeding out babies. So MANY babies. Some of which were no longer babies, but teenagers and spent adults.. Pulled out an entire wheelbarrow full. Enough things gone to seed that it all went in the yard waste bin rather than the compost pile. (Maybe I can avoid having quite so many forget-me-nots next year).


Some things are actually ready to harvest. Lots of greens, herbs and my first batch of strawberries!

5 comments:

andrea said...

I want one of those strawberries! They're very healthy specimens, aren't they, and they seem awfully early after the wet spring we've had. (And how was the sleepover noise level?)

tlchang said...

Sleepover was actually not bad - they are a very nice group of girls - albeit very giggly. I think everyone was asleep by 1am.

The strawberries are wonderful - much more flavorful than what you buy at the store! I wish they had a longer season. For the next couple of weeks, I'll have to be picking every day to keep on top of it!

Joanna said...

Yummy looking strawberries. Its really fun you are a few weeks ahead of us here. My mums strawberries are still green.

Anonymous said...

'Weeding out Babies', what a great saying... Glad the weekend went well! What do you do with the yarrow? Dyes???

Gina said...

Mmmm, yummy strawberries!