Pages

Monday, September 11, 2006

On daily walks and deadlines...

Next deadline (fairly) successfully met: check. A day to sleep in a bit so that I can hopefully continue to function: check. Attempt to catch up on blogs and a bit of housework: jury still out...

I was reading in someone's blog about juggling balance and freelance. It seems to be a common predicament. Why is this? Do we live in such a hurry-up, instant-gratification world that deadlines are never reasonable? Or does our time needed to produce art just expand to fill (and beyond) the time alloted, whatever it may be?

My own, small attempt at balance through the crazy job I am currently engaged in has been to at LEAST go for a walk daily (my body is objecting strenuously to the hours it is being made to *sit*. Many hours. Every day. For at least the next six months). If I am feeling caught up, I may do a few extra things like sweep the floor and go pick the ripening vegetables in the garden. Since I can't talk about the project I'm working on, this lack of outside life really curtails things of interest to discuss on this venue.

Let's see... this last week, my one big outing was to attend my son's piano recital. He was performing a difficult, fast-moving piece that he plays very loudly and passionately. My husband and I had a second row seat with a clear view of the pianist and the grand piano he was playing on. It began jostling and rocking with the vigor of his playing and husband and I sat with a hand over our mouths waiting for the grand piano lid to fall (THAT would have been dramatic!) Thankfully, it remained in its upright position, but that made his performance especially suspenseful!

Other than that, my exposure to the world is the several miles of neighborhood my friend and I see while taking Jack-the-dog for a walk. One day last week, I got seduced by the ripeness of the wild blackberries that grow *everywhere* here and the walk got shortened by a picking spree. I hope they are still OK - since today is the first day I've had a minute to clean and make cobbler from them. While picking, I noticed this abandoned bird nest on the ground in front of a bank of briars. It is in plain view, and about 5 feet from the road. What type of bird makes this kind of nest, do you know? I would guess duck, but there is no water nearby...??? (sorry about the picture quality. It was taken with a camera phone).


It originally had a lovely 'wreath' of twigs around it, artfully arranged and overlapping in the same direction as they circled the mossy center, which still has bits of feather down clinging to it... Duck? What do you think?

5 comments:

Gina said...

Congrats on meeting your deadline! Hooray! I know what you mean about the sitting! My work is all on the computer or in front of the machine in the craft room, either way I'm sitting! It's great that you are going for daily walks! I'm not fairing as well and wonder if one day I will turn into a ball of jelly : ) The way you describe your sons recital, so incredible. I felt like I was right there and it was so full of emotion, he must be very talented, a chip off the old block! Mmmm, cobbler.

natural attrill said...

Deadlines are funny things, I hate them, yet I need them. I get so much more done when I have alot on. The kind of illustration work that I do runs in weeks, not book projects of months of work planned out. Therefore, I never know if I will have work in the near future. I have been full time freelance commercial artist for 27 years, and I still worry about next week!

I definately need more balance, less time working. Your walks sound good, I keep meaning to go for an early morning swim each day, but never seem to get round to it.

Must have been great to listen to your son perform, bet you were both proud.

Penny.

weirdbunny said...

Glad your finding lots of interesting stuff on your daily walk.

I've listed your blog on my side bar, hope that's ok?

Daisy Lupin said...

Yes I would think it could have been a ducks or maybe a travelling fairy built it while it rested in the area before continuing its travels.
How wonderful to go and watch your son perform,you must be a really proud mum, I always feel like that about my daugher's dance.

tlchang said...

Balance seems to be elusive for so many of us... Will continue to work towards that state...

On the nest - I'm voting with Daisy Lupin for traveling fairies!