Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sketching at church...more -

I'm sitting here at my desk sipping a cup of Yogi "Cold Season" tea for my ever-ongoing illness and taking a break from *working*. This particular book has ended up with quite a few pictures requiring forays into perspective - necessitating long rulers and vanishing points and much double-checking.... A brain-pain for someone as 'spatially-challenged' as I am... So instead I will give you another peek into the much-less-strenuous sketchbook-in-my-purse.



Lot of small faces of folks who are standing up for about 5 minutes. You make it a game - how much of their facial shape and structure can you capture in that time period? What if you only get 2 or 3 minutes? How much can one get roughed in?


Added points for vertical orientation (tiny 4x6 sketchbook is precariously balanced on my crossed-legged knee (for height) - things don't always get drawn straight on...).


Some of these folks 'posed' for a bit longer. They end up looking more like themselves. However it is *amazing* to me how much we all *move*. Even when just sitting and looking in a common direction! Very few people sit still for more than 30 seconds at a time. Have you ever noticed that? See how long you can catch anyone (who is not sleeping) holding a position.

But mine are amateurish scribbles compared to some folks out there. If my work schedule eases up some after the new year, I think it time once again for another class at my favorite local fine arts school. Some days I wish I was a professional student. With a much smarter teacher than I have at present (currently self-instructed)....

*sigh* Back to perspective drawings... And another cup of tea I think.

9 comments:

xxxxx said...

I'm surely impressed by your sketching skills!!!! I wish I could just capture someone's features like that but the truth is that even if they posed for me for an hour, I simply could not do it :-)

Maggie Stiefvater said...

Whoo! Thanks for the link! Makes me want to get my sketch book out and into the field.

And yes, I'm always amazed how much people move when they're sitting still.

andrea said...

Are you still feeling ill? What a drag -- and such a lousy time of year for it. But you're never still either, are you? :) I think it's brilliant that you use time that frees up your hands to employ them, and you manage to do a lot in a short period of time! (And can I come to Gage with you next year? Too bad the commute's such a killer.)

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

i think practice makes perfect...and i have been practicing drawing all year...my faces of course...i will have over 300 to make art with forever...i love your drawings...wish i could color mine as well as you do...blessings, rebecca

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Really superb work,Great sketches !!!

dinahmow said...

Hmm...always our own harshest critics, right? Sketches are meant to be sketchy. And if you saw some of my doodles-on-docket you'd go TEACH at the Gage!
I suggest you add a little something to that tea and get a good night's sleep.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

It IS really difficult to get people to stand still. I married a figure drawing model.

cindy said...

i think your sketches are very good! i never realized that gage was an art school until very recently...i pass it a lot on the way to madina's, i thought it was a children's school for some reason!

Captain Midnight said...

I recognize someone in that last page!

It's the bow tie that gives it away. :)