Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2009

We interrupt these WIP posts -

- for a brief herbal interlude. In honor of the fabulous sunshine today.

I have many many baby basils (5 different varieties) coming up. As well as dill, caraway, meadowsweet and lady's mantle (and various squashes and cucumbers).

This is the Cuban oregano that I've been raving about. Looks like a succulent. Incredibly aromatic (although a bit more reminiscent of fruity sage rather than anything like oregano).

I stopped by the garden center for copper tape (slug deterrent for the raised beds), but got seduced by the lush, green lovelies in the herb section: stevia, germander, salad burnett, pineapple and tangerine sage, coconut and Attar of Roses scented geraniums and more lemon thyme. Also a couple new to me: agastache and epazote. Both are labled as culinary, and smell yummy - I'll have to do some research on them (my favorite kind of research! :-)
Yay Spring!

And I keep forgetting to post the treasures that my daughter brought back for me from her British Isles adventure over spring break. She knows me well. They are wonderful and perfect for me. Thank you baby.

10 comments:

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

Ooo...may I look at The Green Man?? What a wonderful daughter.

Jennifer Rose said...

I didn't know you could use copper tape to help deter slugs. cool :) don't have any slugs yet but last year they were horrible (big ones too, bigger then my thumb ugh)so might end up trying that.

lots of lovely gifts from your daughter :D

Tatiana said...

Yummy green herbies! Also love the gifts from Kailin. You know, you can eat slugs too...I wonder if they are like escargo?

d. moll, l.ac. said...

You really scored with all those pressies from your daughter. So many herbs too. An abundance of good things. Keep those slugs at bay........Do the chickens eat slugs?

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

Scrumptious sounding herbs! Who could resist?

Your daughter is a sweetie:)

Sandi McBride said...

I love your Herb garden! LOVE IT!
Sandi

tlchang said...

Tatiana - can you really eat slugs? *Really*??? (am not sure I'd want to)-

and apparently, neither do the chickens d.moll - which is a great disappointment. And a puzzlement since they are most enthusiastic about snails...?

Jennifer Rose said...

eww you can eat slugs!?! o.0 I'd have to be pretty desperate lol (but good to know if I do get desperate lol)

Blaze said...

I love your herb garden seedlings! We just planted some of ours outside yesterday. I love gardens!

Soozcat said...

Oh hey, I know about epazote! It's a popular herb in Mexico, quite often used to flavor beans (and there are numerous claims that it reduces the flatulence associated therewith).

I cannot believe I know something about an herb that the font-of-all-herby-knowledge Tara does not. This is a red letter day. ;)