Pages

Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Solstice -

A repost from a few years ago
(someday I really must paint more of these)...


I have news for you:The stag bells, winter snows, summer has gone
Wind high and cold, the sun low, short its course
The sea running high.
Deep red the bracken; its shape is lost;
The wild goose has raised its accustomed cry,
Cold has seized the birds' wings;
Season of ice, this is my news

--9th century Irish

I did this painting as part of a series on The Celtic Tree Alphabet. Pine being one of my favorites. This particular 'tree' was based on my Uncle Bill, who actually raised Christmas trees for a living the latter part of his life. "O Christmas Tree" was his anthem - and we had to stand and put our hands over our hearts when we'd sing it. He died 7 years ago. I miss him still.

8 comments:

Loni Edwards said...

Oh I just absolutely love this! That is so cool you have a lasting memorial to your dear Uncle Bill. How wonderful!

Northern Beauty Seeker said...

I am sure your uncle would be so honoured by this painting. I think it *is* Pine :-)

Anonymous said...

Very nice memorial. I do agree, if you ever get the time, more of these would be nice.

Steven M. Vance said...

I love both the painting and the poem. I lost my Uncle Gene on Xmas Day, 17 years ago...and I still miss him. He had a huge influence on my life.

Jess said...

It's a stunning painting and what a lovely memory it is of your uncle. I can almost smell those pine needles! Happy Christmas!xx

Ruthie Redden said...

Tara, this is one of my favs of all your work & now i know why, if it was inspired by your dear uncle. waht a lovely way to remember him x

LDahl said...

Old Man Pine... how cool is that? Just prutty durn cool!
Your story makes it even better!

Gilli said...

Merry Christmas, Happy Yule. He is wonderful. He looks like he was a very nice and wise man. Have you done Hawthorne? That's my particular favorite. Perhaps you know someone fiercly protective you could use as a model.